Lavender However, mosquitoes, moths, fleas, flies and bugs hate the smell of this plant, as it drives them away. To get the maximum effect, lavender should be kept in bouquets and planted in sunny areas or doorways of a house.
How to Get Rid of Bugs in Houseplants (4 Easy Steps)
Why do bugs hate lavender?
This is because lavender contains a non-toxic compound called linalool, which is used in many pest control products. Apart from mosquitoes and ticks, lavender also often deters spiders, ants and fleas.
What essential keeps bugs away?
5 Essential Oils to Keep Bugs Away
- Peppermint Essential Oil. While most people enjoy the smell of peppermint and find it refreshing, most bugs hate it.
- Lemongrass Essential Oil.
- Cedarwood Essential Oil.
- Lavender Essential Oil.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil.
What plant is a natural insect repellent?
Citronella Grass (Lemon Grass)
Known for its distinct smell, citronella grass (or lemon grass) is the most commonly used natural ingredient in mosquito repellants. In fact, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden recommends lemon-scented plants such as citronella grass to keep mosquitoes at bay.
What plant keeps the most bugs away?
11 Garden Plants to Help Keep Bugs Away!
- Marigolds. The scent of a marigold will deter plant lice, mosquitoes, and even rabbits.
- Chrysanthemums. This might be the best plant to deter bugs.
- Mint. Mint plants can repel spiders, ants, and mosquitoes.
- Citronella grass.
How do I get rid of bugs in my house naturally?
Bugs Be Gone: 7 Natural Ways to Kill Bugs
- Basil Keeps the Flies Away. Flies are definitely on the list of pesky bugs.
- Dish Soap Will Get Rid of Ants.
- Spiders Don’t Like Citrus.
- Cooking Oil & Syrup Concoction for Cockroaches.
- Baking Soda for the Bed Bugs.
- Salt the Fleas Away.
- Neem Oil Kills Many Bugs.
How can I keep my house free of bugs?
CREATE BUG BARRIERS
- Caulk foundation cracks and gaps around windows and doors where bugs can enter from the outside.
- Add weather stripping and door sweeps.
- Repair any holes in drywall and caulk gaps around floor molding where insects can invade your home from neighboring units.
What plant kills mosquitoes?
Citronella not only keeps mosquitoes at bay but staves off flies too. Also, it’s an ornamental plant, so a couple of potted citronellas on your porch will jazz it up for guests. Since there are many varieties of the citronella plant, make sure you get Cybopogon nardus or Citronella winterianus.
How do I keep bugs out of my garden naturally?
10 Natural Ways to Eliminate Garden Insect Pests
- Start with “Clean” Soil. Good soil can actually deter garden insect pests.
- Buy Disease and Pest-Resistant Seeds.
- Selectively and Aggressively Thin Out Plants.
- Water Plants in the Early Morning.
- Control Weeds.
- Keep your Garden Clean.
- Use Insect Traps.
- Add Beneficial Insects.
What herb do insects hate?
Mint and parsley are enemies. Keep them well away from one another. Excellent insect repellent for ants, fleas, and ticks. The leaves, when crushed and rubbed onto the skin, will repel chiggers, flies, gnats, mosquitoes, and ticks.
What is a natural insect killer?
Mix 1 part oil of lemon eucalyptus or lavender essential oil with 10 parts witch hazel in the bottle. (For each drop of oil, use 10 drops of witch hazel.) Shake gently to mix. Spray to apply.
Do plants really keep bugs away?
It’s All in the Oils
The key to generating a strong enough insect-repellent scent is to release the essential oils within a plant’s leaves. These oils are what actually have the insect-repelling effect. Burning sprigs of the plant or crushing the foliage are the best ways to release their oils.
What smell will keep all bugs away?
Clove, peppermint, thyme, rosemary, and citronella oil are just a few essential oils that can help keep bugs away.
What keeps bugs away overnight?
Citronella candles or citronella oil burners are a great way to repell insects. Citronella is a naturally occurring insect and animal repellent that works by masking scents that are attractive to insects.
How do you keep bugs away permanently?
1. Eliminate Water and Food Sources
- Keep your kitchen counters and floors clean of crumbs.
- Store food in sealed containers.
- Regularly remove the garbage from your home.
- Rinse out your recyclables like plastic bottles and food containers.
- Avoid leaving dishes in the sink.
- Fix leaks and clean up spills as soon as possible.
What plant keeps cockroaches away?
Cockroaches: Several of these fragrant plants will help discourage cockroaches from entering your home, including chrysanthemums, catnip, peppermint, and lavender. Fleas and bedbugs: These itchy insects hate lemongrass, lavender, citronella plants, catnip, and chrysanthemums.
What smell do bugs hate the most?
Those most closely associated with repellency are citronella oil, eucalyptus oil, and catnip oil, but others include clove oil, patchouli, peppermint, and geranium.